Friday, May 6, 2011

Squealers Barbeque

5515 W. 86th Street 
Indianapolis, Indiana
Squealers BBQ


EAting Indy is now tweeting live. Follow me @RealEAtingIndy! Since it takes me a while to keep this up to date, you can now see where I am eating live. I promise I will get better at this. I'm thinking when I get my iPad2, I will be updating more frequently. I promise, no more sandwich/burger places for a while. I have something new in the pipeline, and I still have not even gotten to Adult Spring Break yet. Right before I left for said Spring Break, I went to lunch at Squealer's. I had a craving for some BBQ, since I was somewhat disappointed with Dick's Bodacious BBQ. Also I mentioned the delicious fried biscuits and apple butter in my previous post, so I did not want to leave you hanging. Squealers has two locations, one on the Northwest Side and in Mooresville. I used to drive by the one in Mooresville on the way to Bloomington, and it always intrigued me. My dad had always heard good things about it, but for some reason we never went. I think it is because if we were stopping in Mooresville, it was going to be at Gray Brothers Cafeteria.  It wasn't until I started working back here in Indy, that I had the opportunity to eat at Squealers. 



Now I have only been here for lunch twice, but both times I have left full and satisfied. First lets start with the service. Our waiter was very friendly. He came quick with the drinks and offered his suggestions on what to order, even though we had all eaten there before. After my first dining experience, I knew to order the fried biscuits with apple butter. Delicious. They came out warm and there were enough for our table of four to enjoy. Now if you have never had a fried biscuit, it reminds me of an elephant ear at the state fair, but not as sweet. You get a nice crispy outside, but it is nice and fluffy on the inside. These just melt in your mouth. I read somewhere that fried biscuits and apple butter are a Southern Indiana specialty. Imagine that, something fried is an Indiana specialty, like fried butter or fried bacon at the Indiana State Fair.  For my entree, I got the Squealers Favorite which is pulled pork, with cole slaw with pickle, and onion on the side. You have the option of hot or sweet BBQ sauce, and I chose a mixture of both. I just love the combination of sweet and heat. There is enough sauce where it adds a lot of flavor to the sandwich, but it allows the smoky flavor of the pork to shine through. The pork itself is so tender, the way BBQ is supposed to be. If you can recall how I like my cole slaw, Squealers is spot on. It is creamy and adds a nice crunch to the sandwich. Since I got slaw on the sandwich, I went with BBQ beans. I think the best BBQ beans are from smoke house restaurants like Squealers because they always add bits of smoked meat in with the beans and their house BBQ sauce.


Overall, I will go back time and time again. Their food is very resonably priced, and the service has never been an issue. Last time I dined, our waiter gave us all an extra punch on the frequent diner card. Moreover, the food is delicious. I will go out on a limb and say this is my favorite place for BBQ in the City. But at the same time, it can't touch Smoque. I forgot to mention, last time I went to Smoque, The Ladies Man himself, Tim Meadows, was there. For the younger generation, Principal Duvall from Mean Girls. Shoutout to RFS, who loves Mean Girls...and none for Glen Coco. 


Edible, adj.:  Good to EAt, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm.  ~Ambrose Bierce 

Squealer's Award Winning Barbecue on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment